Endogenous Depression: Symptoms and Treatment
Different types of mental disorders, which are caused by the influence of diurnal or seasonal mood swings, or these differences without any cause are called in medicine as endogenous depression. Such disorders are a serious form of the disease, therefore it is very important to take appropriate ways to prevent the development of a malaise in order to exclude its progression.
Typical signs of the disease are thoughts about suicides, provoked through low self-esteem. Particularly very actively absorbed by such thoughts is the brain of a person in the morning, but is not excluded at night. A person with signs of this disease is prone to early awakenings and lack of a night’s sleep. He perceives the surrounding world in a different way, not even as a pessimist, but rather as an unnecessary creation, which leads him to one final thought of suicide.
Types of depression
There are two types of depression: reactive and circular (endogenous).
Reactive occurs in the case of unexpected stress: death of a loved one, a deadly disease, parting, etc.
Endogenous depression , which is actually discussed in this article, is an internal disease of a person. The provocation of the disease is due to the reduction of hormones, such as serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. Underestimation of their development, the person on the subconscious has ridiculous thoughts about their uselessness in this world, as well as strong apathy, a sense of oppression and worthlessness.
The most vulnerable people who are characterized by the manifestation of an ailment are persons with the following traits in character:
- feeling about the need to fulfill their duty
Often people who have temperament types become phalanxes of the disease: phlegmatic and melancholic. Endogenous depression can occur unexpectedly, even in an episode of full well being in the family.
The causes of the manifestations of endogenous depression lie in the lack of hormones produced, which were mentioned above. But what are the reasons for this phenomenon, consider in more detail.
- The primary cause of inadequate hormone production, which affects the occurrence of circular depressive disease, is a genetic predisposition. If native even the most distant generations had a peculiarity of manifestation of this disease, then the likelihood of depression in the offspring is high.
- It is possible to defeat a person who has weak character traits: suspiciousness, indecisiveness, anxiety. For such people, there is a fear of making any decisions.
- Sometimes the medicine does not exclude the cause of the disease through severe stress, although there is controversy about this. But in order to exclude the factors of a possible manifestation of the disease, it is worthwhile to protect yourself from stressful situations.
Most often, it is women who are exposed to the manifestation of ailment, which is associated with the biological characteristics of the structure of the psyche.
Often it is very difficult to determine the first signs of endogenous depression in a person, as, above all, this ailment is perfectly hidden behind the following factors:
- bad mood
- psychological problems.
Judging from this, it is worth noting that it is difficult for the layman to diagnose the disease «endogenous depression». Such symptoms of endogenous depression must necessarily alert the person and think about taking appropriate measures to get rid of the ailment. So, the symptoms of the disease are manifested by the following signs:
- A person has periodic attacks of bad mood, occurring on an uncaused background. These attacks may subside, but after a short time they resume and appear even more. Often, mood deterioration occurs in the spring or autumn season. Depending on the saturation of the day, malaise is characterized by activation in the morning and during the day. Towards evening the symptoms subsided, but already night dreams awaken a person from an ailment.
- There is a slowness of body movements and mental activity. The patient is characterized by impaired attention, slower perception, complexity of meditation. It is difficult for him to concentrate his attention on a certain goal, he sometimes does not hear and does not notice people around.
- Afflicted with ailment has symptoms of severe fatigue, even if it does not do anything. Fatigue is based on unwillingness to perform any action.
- Man himself (even without good reason) blames himself for all sins, shortcomings, defects. A sense of pessimism accompanies him everywhere, even during sleep, which passes anxiously.
- The patient is characterized by a prolonged retirement to sleep, but after a few hours this dream is already gone. It’s hard for a person to fall asleep, he turns around almost in the morning.
- Often the symptoms of a circular depression are reflected in a person’s appetite, or rather, in his absence. The patient eats little or does not eat at all, which leads to weight loss, hungry faints and the development of a digestive system, in particular, causes gastritis.
- Physical pain itself is not felt by a person, but he is troubled by other symptoms of pain. These pains include: melancholy, experience, intrusive thoughts about suicide, often prolonged course of the disease causes twisting pains in the region of the joints, bones and muscles.
- A person has self-esteem and complete self-confidence. Especially dangerous are these symptoms, if the patient lives alone and there is no one to support and calm him.
- Suicidal thoughts lead to attempts to interrupt life, but not to finish the job, because death is a complex and decisive step that weak-spirited people do not dare.
More symptoms …
If you look at the life picture of a person with this disease, then it is gloomy and empty. The patient lies in bed all day and does not want anything. The lack of desire lies not in his laziness, but in the absence of any interest. In the brain, hormones of joy, love and pleasure are not produced, therefore, only suffering is peculiar to a person.
Suicidal thoughts in patients end in attempts, but in rare cases, the progression of this severe disease still overcomes fears and pushes to death. It is very important that people with the disease endogenous depression do not remain alone with themselves.
Depressive people are inactive in the dialogue, they are immersed entirely in their experiences, sitting or lying in one position. The surrounding people have such a feeling, as if a person has simply been disconnected from life. He is not mentally ill, but the symptoms of the disease are in some way similar.
If the patient and talks, the topic of conversation is only one — his depression, heaviness in the soul, uselessness, etc. The person in this state goes further and further, which only leads to aggravation of the disease. It is necessary to carry out medical measures as soon as possible.
Diagnosis and treatment
The soul discomfort of a person, in his opinion, is not the reason for seeking medical help, and this is the main risk factor that affects the further progression of the disease. Many people consider the state of depression to be a normal phenomenon and believe that soon it will pass. These thoughts are incorrect, because if you continue to lock yourself in, it will be more difficult to get out of this state.
For this, it is necessary to conduct a survey of a person, whereby a specialist doctor will be diagnosed. Diagnosis involves only examining the patient, talking with him, on the basis of which there is a detection of mental abnormalities. Like many diseases, endogenous depression is best treated in the early stages of leakage, so treatment should not be postponed.
Treatment of endogenous depression is carried out by taking medication. In addition, psychotherapeutic advice may also be prescribed. This consultation is very important, because through such preventive measures, the person is reassured and put on the normal habitual way of life.
If the treatment of the disease is carried out correctly, even despite the stage in which the progressive depression is located, the cure takes place quickly and without consequences.
For information! Do not self-medicate a person suffering from endogenous depression, because it is impossible to conduct it.
Treatment is carried out by a psychotherapist or psychiatrist in a hospital and includes:
- A competent choice of the method of curing antidepressants. Antidepressants affect the increase in the production of hormones in the brain.
- Drugs should be taken for several months and even years until they are fully recovered.
- To increase the effectiveness of treatment, it is not excluded that tranquilizers, stimulants, nootropics and sedatives are prescribed to the patient.
The relatives of the patient play the main role in the detection of the symptoms of the disease, therefore, it is up to them to go to the doctor for further treatment of the patient.