Erosion of the stomach: symptoms and treatment
Erosion of the stomach — violation of the integrity of the mucous membrane of this organ. A characteristic feature is that its deeper tissues are not exposed to the pathogenic process, and after healing of erosion they leave no traces behind themselves. This disease, combined with erosive damage to the duodenum, occurs in fifteen percent of cases of all recorded gastrointestinal diseases.
Causes of gastric erosion can be chronic disorders, for example, liver failure. But to reveal what factors influenced the progression of such an ailment, it is possible only after careful examination of the patient. The duration of the disease is directly related to its type and location.
On average, the disease lasts for ten days, but with a particularly severe course, recovery does not occur until two months later. Chronic form of the disease exists for up to five years. Often localized erosion at the exit from the stomach — defects on the surface resemble suckers octopus. Can be located chaotically or make up a continuous chain, less than five millimeters in diameter. When combined with a similar disorder of the duodenum, periodic hemorrhages may occur.
The main symptoms of gastric erosion are severe spasms in the abdominal region, increased fragility of the nails and dry skin. Diagnosis consists of endoscopic examination and biopsy of the affected area of the stomach. The treatment of such a pathology is long, and is based on the elimination of the factors of occurrence through the use of medications. All patients are prescribed special nutrition for erosion of the stomach. To increase the effect of therapy, you can use folk medicine, but only after a preliminary consultation with a specialist.
The main cause of this disorder is a violation of the balance between the protective layer and the aggressive action of the stomach environment. Predisposing factors for the appearance of this imbalance are:
- previous surgery on the digestive tract;
- the consequences of injuries;
- emotional disorders
- burns of the mucous membrane that arise from excessive consumption of hot, fatty and spicy dishes, as well as taking liquor and certain medications in large quantities
- toxic effects of smoking;
- ingestion of chemicals
- heart failure;
- decreased immunity against a background of various inflammatory or infectious processes
- chronic diseases of the respiratory system that can cause insufficient oxygen to the body
- malignant neoplasms affecting the stomach or intestines
- pathological effects on the mucosa of Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
Sometimes erosion of the stomach is a symptom of peptic ulcer. In such cases, diet and folk remedies are not appropriate.
Depending on the cause of progression, this disease is divided into several types, and it happens:
- stand alone
- formed against a background of concomitant disorders
- emerged against the backdrop of oncology.
The appearance of erosion can be:
In the form of perforation, the disease is classified into:
- chronic — there is a possibility of forming a peptic ulcer. The illness is characterized by periods of activity and retreat. A person learns of the disease when his state of health deteriorates significantly. Duration of therapy is from two months;
- acute — characterized by a sharp change in health and an intense manifestation of unpleasant symptoms. Treatment of this form does not take more than two weeks. Therapy consists of taking medication and using folk remedies.
Depending on the damage to the mucosa, gastric erosion is classified into:
- complete — while the mucosa either reddens and swells, or remains unchanged. Characterized by outgrowths in the antrum section
- surface — flat lesions having different volumes
- hemorrhagic — in place of erosion, small bright red dots form, and bleeding occurs around the edges.
Often, the symptomatology of this ailment is difficult to overlook, because it resembles the symptoms of peptic ulcer, and a characteristic feature is acute and intense pain. In addition, a distinctive feature is that soreness can not be completely eliminated even for several months after the treatment of erosion of the stomach. Symptoms of such disorders of mucosal integrity are:
- Abdominal cramps, especially those seated after meals or at night
- belching and burning sensation in the throat;
- nausea, resulting in vomiting, which in turn brings considerable relief;
- the presence of a blood admixture in the stool, which indicates internal bleeding;
- digestive disorder
- increased fragility of the nail plates
- dry skin;
- weakness and fatigue of the body
- bile withdrawal
- reduction of hemoglobin;
- smelling impairment
But in some cases the disease is asymptomatic, especially in its secondary expression. Primary signs are easily eliminated with the help of special nutrition and folk remedies, but only after their appointment as a doctor.
The basis of diagnostic measures is the endoscopic examination of the affected organ, during which a biopsy is performed. This means that a small part of the mucosa is collected, for subsequent laboratory studies for malignancy.
In addition, the doctor is required to conduct a survey, during which it is necessary to find out the first time and the extent of the symptoms of erosion of the stomach. Also it will help the specialist to find out the primary or secondary nature of the damage to the stomach. To confirm the diagnosis, a comprehensive examination of the patient and its further observation during therapy are necessary. In order for a doctor to obtain more information about the disorder, it may be necessary to study blood, urine and stool.
After receiving all the results of the research, the specialist determines how to treat erosion of the stomach, appoints special nutrition and advises on the use of folk remedies.
Throughout the treatment of gastric erosion, the patient is under endoscopic control, which makes it possible to assess the condition of the mucosa. During therapy, patients are prescribed medications, depending on whether the ailment is primary or secondary.
To improve blood microcirculation, laser radiation is used. If the disease is not self-sustained, but that has arisen against inflammation or oncology, the therapy of the underlying disease is carried out. At advanced stages or when an internal hemorrhage is detected, a surgical procedure is performed, during which a partial resection of the stomach is performed with removal of the affected area.
An important role in treatment is played by a diet with erosion of the stomach, which excludes the use of many habitual products. Food should not be cold or too hot. Duration of specific nutrition is at least one and a half months. The power supply should be excluded:
- sweet soda water
- beverages containing caffeine
- fatty meats and fish;
- Smoked products
- spices and spicy sauces;
- turnips and radishes
- foods fortified with fiber;
- Soups cooked on fatty broth
During the diet allowed to use:
- dairy and fermented milk products
- Boiled dishes, or those cooked in steaming or in the oven.
Diet with erosion of the stomach implies frequent and fractional meals.
In addition to drug treatment and special nutrition, folk remedies can be used at home. These include broths and tinctures based on:
- celandine and bearberry
- celandine and yarrow;
- chamomile and St. John’s wort;
- the root of aira and gentian;
- Green walnuts
- honey and butter
- juice and sea buckthorn oil
- Aloe and honey
- cabbage leaf juice
It is important to consider that resort to treatment with folk remedies is necessary only as an auxiliary technique and only after the appointment of the attending physician.
Preventive measures for erosion of the stomach include:
- adherence to a healthy lifestyle
- timely treatment of any diseases of the digestive tract;
- limiting stressful situations;
- prophylactic examinations in the clinic in the presence of diabetes;
- therapy in the early stages of neoplasm development
- strengthening of immunity with vitamin complexes, especially in the cold season.
For preventive purposes, you must adhere to a special diet, similar to nutrition in case of stomach erosion. In no case do not use folk remedies as the only way to treat this disease.