Fibromyalgia: Symptoms and Treatment
The disease, according to which a person has a sense of musculoskeletal indisposition, manifested as fatigue and stiffness of movements, is called fibromyalgia. The disease is characterized by the absence of inflammatory processes and does not affect the damage to the internal organs of a person. The ailment is peculiar to people who are exposed to psychological effects. They are mostly middle-aged women, but children and men often suffer.
About the indisposition of «fibromyalgia» is known for a long time, but about what it appears, and what factors contribute to this, unfortunately, at this point, almost nothing is known. On the basis of many years of research, a number of reasons were formed, according to which patients treated with symptoms of malaise of muscle tissues.
The main and primary cause is still considered a general psychological disorder, which is caused by:
- stressful situations
- general overwork of the body
- accidents, injuries or serious incurable diseases
All these factors can contribute to the emergence of a malaise of «fibromyalgia.»
Most medical scientists and experts do not see fibromyalgia as such a disease and call it a chronic indisposition provoked by stress factors. But stress refers to the defensive reaction of the body, which is not capable of contributing to the development of the disease? Stress is in fact a protective and useful response for the nervous system, but under the condition of its short-term exposure. When there is a danger to human life, the body is characterized by a manifestation of stress. If stress is long-lasting, then a negative effect on the nervous, immune and endocrine systems begins.
With prolonged exposure to stress in the body, there is a violation of various types of hormones, the pituitary and adrenal glands, which are characterized by the perception of pain symptoms. Thus, disorders and disorders in the composition of hormones affect the triggering of pain in the muscles and bone tissues. It is noticed that people with signs of fibromyalgia are characterized by an insufficient content of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the body. To eliminate the symptoms of the disease, therapy is designed to eliminate this deficiency of the neurotransmitter.
With frequent, especially prolonged stressful situations, there is a decrease in immunity, and, therefore, the body begins to attack various infectious bacteria that previously did not have this possibility. Such viruses include:
With the active action of these viruses on the human body, a large number of antibodies are released into the blood, which, in an attempt to control microorganisms, attack their own tissues. The tissues are the muscular, bone and tendons of a person. The direct effect of antibodies on muscles and tendons generates painful sensations in their locations. This is how the fibromyalgia disease appears theoretically.
On the basis of this, it is correct to assert that such a disease is complex, rather than the usual sensation of pain symptoms in muscles. According to the research, it was noted that the spread of the disease is activated mainly in the female body, and at the age of 25 to 40 years. Very rarely fibromyalgia is found in the male body, as men are less prone to stress. In recent years, the action of the ailment in the children’s organism has become more active, but the reasons for this action, unfortunately, have not yet been fully studied.
Thus, if a person often experiences strong stressful and exciting moments, sharp mood swings, mental disorders, nervous shocks, etc., then one should fear the development of fibromyalgia.
Some factors may make a person more susceptible to provoking the disease, so it is worth knowing these risk groups:
- Female gender. Progression of the disease is in the body of the weaker sex, especially active during menopause.
- Injuries. In this case, traumas, both physical and emotional, which are debugged in memory from childhood and lead to the development of mental disorder, and, hence, fibromyalgia.
- Increased state of psychological vulnerability. People who have a weak psyche are the main patients of fibromyalgia.
- Age. The disorder of the muscular system prevails in people in the age category from 25 to 40-50 years. It is also noted the activation and progression of the disease in children aged 12-15 years, associated, presumably, with emotional and physical trauma.
- Genetic inheritance. It is not excluded in the development of indisposition and heredity. If people suffer from manifestations of muscle tissue disorders, then the appearance of these symptoms in future offspring is also not excluded.
To find out the presence of the disease, you need to know the characteristic of this symptomatology, because not always the pain in the muscles is a testament of the ailment. The main symptoms of the manifestation of the disease include:
- tenderness in the muscles and tendons
- the stiffness of the arms and legs
- fast fatigue.
The development of the disease begins with the gradualness of pain. And the gradualness can be both protracted and active, ie, a person can feel the first symptoms in 25 years, and then the next sign will manifest in a certain number of years. The triggering of such an ailment is influenced by changes in the psychological mood.
Pain sensations in the muscles, accompanied by symptoms of fatigue, immobility, excessive physical activity, are the first indicators of the activation of the disease. When exerting an influence by applying warm objects to the site of activation of pain symptoms, such pains pass or decrease. In the morning hours, sharply intensified pain, and then subsides until evening. In the morning, there is a feeling of stiffness of the head, often a patient can complain about the manifestation of pain symptoms in the calf muscles (such pain is convulsive). The feeling of swelling of the fingers and toes begins to appear, but in fact the physical swelling is not observed.
Important! The most common symptom complained of by patients is not pain in the muscle fibers, but it is ubiquitous fatigue. Even waking up after the night, patients complain of more fatigue than before going to sleep.
A characteristic feature of the ailment is also the activation of painful sensations after the place of malaise, the so-called trigger point, will be felt. These points are in the following places on the human body:
- areas 4,5 and 6 cervical vertebrae
- on the trapezius muscles: left and right (area of the muscular abdomen)
- the upper part of the gluteal muscles;
- knee joints
- Bone points
- in the shoulder area
- Elbow joints.
These are the main points of activating and reproducing the disease, where a person can feel pain symptoms.
Often the ailment, in addition to pain, is caused by exacerbation of mental and physical disorders, leading to severe patient disadaptation.
Patients also often complain of a bad dream, which is practically absent. A person is at rest during sleep, but constant muscle tension and mental disorder do not allow the body to relax and get a full rest. In addition to all the patient complains of constant headaches, including both migraine and high blood pressure. Spreading pains in the area of the joints of the hands and knees.
If the following symptoms were seen:
- headache and dizziness;
- Dryness and burning in the mouth
- menstruation with pain
- stitching pain in the arms and legs
- persistent urination to urinate for urination
- complaints of impaired bowel functioning.
You should always go to the hospital for an accurate diagnosis and medical treatment.
Symptoms in children
Due to the fact that the disease takes on a mass character, the question of manifesting the signs of this ailment in children remains topical. Pediatric fibromyalgia is actively manifested by a violation of the child’s sleep and strong pain sensations in trigger points. The child’s body is characterized by such violations:
- Biochemical. These include phosphocreatine and ATP, which are reduced in the body. If the level of these substances is reduced, then, accordingly, the production of calcium for cells does not occur, and this directly affects not only bone tissue, but also on muscles.
- Functional. Children are also characterized by stressful situations that damage the muscles of the body.
- Structural and circulatory. In children and adults with fibromyalgia, a thickening of the capillaries is observed, which should not be. This phenomenon contributes to the fact that the muscle is not fully supplied with useful substances (oxygen, cellular compounds) .
Unfortunately, in these days there are no special equipment, analyzes and other research aids that could be used to track the presence of the disease in the body and 100% to make an accurate diagnosis. A medical institution is assigned a study in order to exclude the development of other diseases. The diagnosis is established by the doctor by conducting a long history of the disease and on the basis of information obtained through physical examination.
Often a good specialist will put an accurate diagnosis by feeling the trigger points. Based on the pain signs and the diagnosis is dated to the patient. Thus, about 80% of diagnoses are made with fibromyalgia.
Important! Fibromyalgia is unable to lead to a violation of the integrity of tissues and their inflammation, therefore, on the basis of this, the diagnosis of the disease is also clarified.
Symptoms of fibromyalgia are also similar with such diseases: vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroidism, hypercalcemia, polymyositis and oncological diseases.
Knowing that a blood test will not show signs of an ailment, you still need to pass it to have a general picture of differential diagnosis. The most effective way to determine the diagnosis is a specific scheme for determining pain points. Usually, such points are applied force of 3-4 kg, and on the basis of the presence of pain symptoms is confirmed by a diagnosis.
Due to differential diagnosis, it is possible to determine a wide range of diseases. Diagnosis of the patient is determined, first of all, by the timing of the manifestation of symptoms, as well as by anamnesis and examinations. Diffuse signs of pain, most likely, speak about the presence of fibromyalgia, especially if in addition to everything there is a general malaise of the body, signs of weakness, deterioration of sleep and the identification of pain points. In this situation, it will be necessary to be examined, but if the manifestation of signs of an illness is observed for a short period, then a thorough examination in the hospital will be required.
Treatment of the disease should be approached in a complex way, as the disease is not caused by one organ, but in general on the muscular system and tendons. Only after all the symptoms are confirmed, and the diagnosis of (by all the methods described above) will show a positive result, then you should resort to medical treatment.
- The use of tricyclic antidepressants (cyclobenarin, amitriptyline) is an effective way to get rid of the symptoms of an ailment. After taking the drug, the patient notices improvement in sleep, fatigue decreases, and pain in the area of muscle joints fades. Drugs practically do not cause side effects.
- In order to get rid of the depressive and stressful condition, the use of serotonin boosting drugs is recommended. These include: Prozac, which you need to apply to 20 mg in the morning; Sertraline, taken on 50-200 mg and has a high performance. Often at the stages of exacerbation, the doctor can appoint a potential leader from this group of drugs — Paxil, which should be taken at 5-20 mg.
- To cure pain in the muscles and to restore them, Norflix is recommended, which should be taken at 100 mg twice a day.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs are also effective in fighting fibromyalgia. These funds include: Relafen, Voltaren, Ibuprofen. Used in the form of ointments or creams.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment with the help of traditional medicine is aimed, first of all, at eliminating the reasons for which the disease manifests itself. The main cause is stress, which causes the occurrence of the consequences of fibromyalgia.
The effective means against stressful situations are:
- Physical development. Through physical exercises, not only the physiological state of a person is restored, but also psychological.
- Aromatherapy. Physical and psychological relaxation through the use of essential oils. You can apply them during massage sessions or when taking a bath.
- Rubbing muscles and joints with these components: 10 drops of rosemary oil and a couple drops of chamomile, all mixed with one tablespoon of almond oil or soy. These components in the form of a mixture must be rubbed into areas of the body where pains are activated.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the treatment of fibromyalgia with the help of physiotherapeutic diagnosis, unfortunately, has a low capacity and is ineffective. But there are cases of a positive effect in the fight against fibromyalgia through aerobic exercise. As you know, already hundreds of millennia: sport is health. And those people who are friends with the sport are practically unfamiliar with such a disease as fibromyalgia.