Fibrous-Cystic Mastopathy: Symptoms and Treatment
Fibro-cystic mastopathy is a pathology that is fibrocystic in nature, characterized by rapid growth of cells in the tissues of the mammary glands, as well as abnormal ratio of epithelium and connective tissue components. This ailment in medicine is attributed to the group of dysplastic processes of benign course in diseases of the breast.
Cystic fibrotic mastopathy is considered a benign disease, but it is always worth considering the fact that in some of its forms it is possible to degenerate benign tumors into malignant ones. Therefore, every woman should carefully monitor their health, especially if the diagnosis has already been made. Regular medical examinations, on which the mammologist will evaluate the shape and nature, as well as the localization of the pathological process, will help prevent the degeneration of a benign tumor into a malignant tumor.
Signs of fibrocystic mastopathy are detected in almost half of women of reproductive age. Often, women themselves find themselves sealed in the tissues of the breast during her palpation and rush to immediately see a doctor. Some people start treatment with folk remedies, what to do is not recommended without an accurate diagnosis.
Symptoms of cystic fibrosis mastopathy are very similar in any of its types, but in spite of this, several forms of this ailment are distinguished in medicine:
- localized fibrocystic mastopathy. It is also referred to as nodal mastopathy. Pathological signs of this pathology are manifested in a limited area of the breast. For example, a seal is formed on one of its quadrants;
- mastalgia. In medicine, this form is considered the initial stage of the disease. The woman begins to feel severe pain in one or at once two mammary glands, but thus there are no seals of a tissue. In this case, you can treat the ailment even with folk remedies;
- diffuse fibrocystic mastopathy. Symptoms of the disease are pronounced. Cysts are formed. Seals can be palpated throughout the area of the mammary glands
Diffuse mastopathy is also divided into several types (important for more accurate diagnosis):
- diffuse fibrotic mastopathy. When palpating the mammary glands, areas of increased density are noted. In most clinical cases, this pathological process proceeds with the formation of fibroadenoma. This is a benign tumor. Symptoms can be reduced with folk remedies and a well-chosen diet
- diffuse cystic mastopathy. In this case, among all pathological formations that are localized in the tissues of the mammary glands, cysts predominate. These formations are small cavities filled with liquid inside. Also in the chest there are areas of fibrosis, but in a much smaller amount
- mixed mastopathy. No form of pathological changes prevails in this form of the disease. In the chest they are placed almost in equal numbers. The most dangerous form. It should be treated only in a hospital. No folk remedies in this case will help.
The main role in the occurrence of this ailment in women of reproductive age belongs to an increase in the level of estrogens and a decrease in the level of the hormone of progesterone. In most clinical cases, hyperestrogenism predominates. Against the backdrop of this process, the connective tissue gradually begins to expand, the alveoli and ducts of the mammary glands are thickened. Also, the development of mastopathy is promoted by increasing the production of prolactin in the body of a woman. It is this hormone that is responsible for the functions of the breast. If it is produced in excess, the sensitivity of the glands to the effect of estrogens will increase several fold.
Causes of developing mastopathy:
- multiple births
- taking hormonal contraceptives for a long time
- no birth until age 30
- miscarriages or abortions in an anamnesis
- abnormalities of the structure and work of the genitals
- In most clinical cases, mastopathy develops if a woman refuses to breast-feed her baby after childbirth (one of the main reasons);
- menstrual irregularities
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
Also, the reasons for the development of mastitis can hide in some diseases of the organs responsible for the production of hormones. Often in women with diseases of the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, fibrocystic mastopathy is found. A significant role in the development of this disease is played by a hereditary factor.
Symptoms of the disease in some cases occur in women who suffer from pathologies of the kidneys, pancreas or liver.
- Vitamin deficiency;
- violation of the water-salt balance;
It is important when you find the first symptoms immediately visit a qualified specialist for diagnosis, confirmation or denial of the diagnosis. Timely contact with a doctor reduces the risk of possible complications. It is also recommended to pay attention to the causes of the development of pathology, in order to avoid them in the future if possible.
Symptoms of mastopathy are quite diverse. There are times when there are no symptoms at all, so a woman does not consult a doctor to treat the disease. Such a course is characteristic of nodular mastopathy, during which a single fibroadenoma, having a small size, is formed. But in this case, its treatment can be carried out even by folk remedies. As a rule, the presence of a pathological process is detected during a planned medical examination.
Symptoms of the disease are also absent in the first stage of diffuse mastopathy. At this stage, the formation of a microcyst of the ducts of the mammary glands occurs, so the woman does not note the deterioration of her general condition.
The most important symptom for diagnosis is the detection of seals in the breast tissues. Multiple or single may predominate. In most clinical cases, the location of their localization is the upper outer quadrants of the breast. When you touch this area, the woman feels pain, which has the property of intensifying before menstruation.
The main symptoms of mastopathy:
- The mammary gland strongly swells and coarsens before the menstrual period. This is due to venous congestion and edema;
- There is a strong pain in the chest, which has a pulling, aching or pulling character. The degree of intensity is different. It can be eliminated using folk remedies
- Regional lymph nodes increase, but there are no signs of inflammation. At palpation, the nodes are painful;
- nipple sensitivity increases;
- chest pain has the property of radiating to the shoulder, armpit or scapula. This symptom arises from the squeezing of small nerve rootlets by formations;
- selection from the nipples. They can appear during pressing on the gland or may flow freely. This happens intermittently. As a rule, they have white, transparent or blood-brown color. There may also be blood. In this case, you should immediately run to see a doctor! This condition is extremely dangerous for a woman’s health.
This disease in most clinical cases is not a threat to the life of a woman. Women often complain that they are affected by the symptoms of the disease, as they reduce the quality of their life and even work capacity. But more recently, scientists have conducted some studies, during which it was revealed that fibrocystic mastopathy is a precancerous disease. It is not necessary to panic at once, as the transformation of the disease into an oncological disease does not happen in all cases. But still it was found that in women who suffer from mastopathy, the risk of developing breast cancer increases by 4-5 times.
Hormonal disorders in the body during mastopathy create a favorable background for the development of ovarian and cervical cancer. Putting all these components together, we can say that fibrocystic mastopathy is a complex disease that needs to be treated in a timely manner, and regularly undergo preventive examinations to prevent the development of complications.
Mastopathy and pregnancy
Doctors always reassure women who are interested in whether fibrocystic mastopathy and pregnancy are compatible. In almost 100% of cases, the disease does not affect the course of pregnancy and fetal development. On the contrary. Increased production of the hormone progesterone helps reduce the production of estrogen and cure mastopathy. If the baby is fed for a long time, the cysts and fibroadenomas decrease. Therefore, even if there is mastopathy, a woman can become a mother and not be afraid that something will happen to her baby.
The following methods prevail in the diagnosis of fibrocystic mastopathy:
- MRI of the mammary glands. This technique is highly informative, but is rarely used because it has a high cost
- Ultrasound. This is the leading diagnostic technique that can detect the presence of nodes and cysts in women of reproductive age
- Mammography. As a result of the study, the patient receives images in two projections that are very informative for the correct diagnosis
- Doktografiya. Technique, during which through the nipple into the ducts introduce a substance, the components of which have dyeing properties. Helps determine the location of pathological formations
- Biopsy. The main method for diagnosing precancerous or cancerous tumors
When mastopathy is detected, a woman is often referred for additional examination to a gynecologist, as well as an endocrinologist, to take additional tests.
Before the appointment of any treatment plan for women with a nodular form of the disease, the puncture of the formations with the help of fine needle aspiration is mandatory. This technique allows the doctor to diagnose mastopathy from cancer.
At the initial stage of diffuse mastopathy, the use of medications is a good effect. Often prescribe non-hormonal herbal preparations (their components are safe for women’s health and effectively help to overcome mastopathy). As a result, pain decreases, cysts resolve, mammary glands become softer. Widely used the following drugs:
Combinations and dosage should be selected only by the doctor, depending on the form and severity of the disease.
Treatment of fibrocystic mastopathy will be more effective if you also use external means — creams, gels, ointments. They contain components that help to ease pain and other unpleasant symptoms. Often appoint «Mastofit», «Mastokrel», «Prozhozhestzhel» and other.
Vitamin-mineral complexes in the therapy of mastopathy are also used. Particularly valuable and effective are vitamins A and E, as well as iodine, which contribute to the improvement of the processes of hormonal metabolism. With severe pain in the chest, patients are prescribed an STD. This group of drugs helps to remove pain, and also remove inflammation, if any.
Phytotherapy has been widely used for the treatment of any form of mastopathy. Herbs have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and absorbable effects. These properties help to eliminate unpleasant symptoms of the disease and even completely cure it. Treatment of fibrocystic mastopathy with herbs is very effective, but it is recommended not to be used individually, but in combination with other methods. Also the national means have proved the efficiency also. Recently, women very often resort to them. The reason is efficiency and completely natural ingredients (herbs, berries).
The administration of hormonal drugs is carried out if all the above methods were not effective. Often the means of choice are oral contraceptives from the group of progestogens. A good effect gives the use of tableted progestins. In this case, the course of taking these medications is from three to six months. Their components are completely safe for women’s health.
Folk remedies should be used only in combination with conservative therapy, as well as with the consent of the attending physician. To treat the disease only they are not recommended, as this can cause harm to health. Specialists recommend taking various phytogens based on such herbs:
- St. John’s wort;
- valerian (the herb has a sedative effect);
It is important to be able to correctly prepare folk remedies from these herbs, as a violation of the formula can not only not help cure the disease, but also harm the health.
Diet in fibrocystic mastopathy — this is exactly what helps to cure the disease more quickly. The nature of nutrition has a huge impact on the production of hormones. A woman is not recommended to eat the following foods:
- animal fats;
- black tea
- fried foods.
In the diet should be added vegetables, fruits and whole wheat bread, as these foods contain a lot of fiber. If there is no possibility completely to refuse reception of an animal food it is possible to use in a small amount lean meat prepared on pair or cooked.
Fibro-cystic mastopathy is a complex disease, but it can be successfully cured if you seek help from a specialist in time. Drug therapy, diet, folk remedies — all this will help to eliminate unpleasant symptoms and even completely cure the ailment. The main thing is that the treatment was prescribed by a competent doctor taking into account the characteristics of the woman’s organism.