Neurasthenia: Symptoms and Treatment
Stress in the life of modern man — a phenomenon quite frequent, and sometimes the human psyche does not cope with such a load. On the basis of nervous exhaustion, a disease such as neurasthenia may occur. Most often this disease occurs in young men and women, but in practice it can not be argued that any social or age group is completely free from the risk of developing neurasthenia. Sometimes there is neurasthenia in children, and sexual neurasthenia, which is characterized by the presence of sexual disorders.
What can cause neurasthenia development
Although it is usually believed that mental illnesses are either hereditary in nature, or are due to some extremely strong emotional upheavals, the causes of neurasthenia can be quite prosaic. So, for example, the beginning of development of neurasthenia can serve:
- Severe fatigue. Sometimes work or study requires a huge amount of effort from a person, leaving no time for sleep and rest. Yes, for a short period the human body can work in a strengthened mode without much harm to itself, but if such causes act on a person constantly, sooner or later it will turn into a nervous breakdown.
- Constant hit in conflict situations. If quarrels, swearing, all sorts of unpleasant situations are systematic, this may well be the cause of the development of mental illness. This mainly includes family problems, discord in relationships with colleagues, etc.
- Personal dramas. A strong grief can considerably distort the human psyche, and neurasthenic syndrome in this case is one of the most frequent outcomes. Death or illness of loved ones, break with a loved one, any other misfortunes — all this can greatly shake mental health.
Whatever the reasons for the occurrence of such a disease as neurasthenia, this condition should be treated immediately, because waiting can contribute to the deterioration of the condition.
What are the signs of this disease
Symptoms of neurasthenia depend, first of all, on the type of psyche in a single person taken, on what the causes of the disease and the stage of the disease were. In a generalized form, we can distinguish three main phases of the development of such a disease as neurasthenia. Symptoms in each form of the disease will be somewhat different.
It manifests itself at the very beginning of the disease and is rarely regarded as a pathology: most often symptoms are written off as usual fatigue or character traits. In this phase, the most common signs of neurasthenia are excitability, irritability, sleep disturbances. A person in this state can take out of patience literally every little thing: too loud sounds or speech, bright colors, the desire of people to communicate with him, the need to do some work, etc.
In case of neurasthenia occurring in the hypersthenic phase, the neurasthenic constantly feels tired, overwhelmed, the so-called neurasthenic helmet (pressing pressure headaches) makes it difficult for him to concentrate on anything. Sleep, as a rule, does not bring feelings of cheerfulness, nightmares often make themselves felt. This stage is quite possible to cure at home — of course, if attacks of aggression do not pose a danger to others.
If for some reason the neurasthenic has not come to normal while the hypersthenic stage has lasted, then the so-called stage of irritable weakness will follow. Often this happens if the neurasthenic does not consult a doctor, preferring to be treated independently at home. Constricted with constant tension, the body loses its last strength, the psyche is depleted, and a feeling of impotence and despair comes to the person to replace aggression. More and more often there are bouts of tears, hysterics. As for concentration, at this stage of neurasthenia, every occupation that requires at least some concentration quickly tires the patient, a neurasthenic helmet and nausea appear. Most often in this state, people «hang out» whose temperament is close to choleric.
Most often it comes as a late stage of the disease after unsuccessful attempts at self-treatment at home, but people with weak psyche can come from the very beginning. The hyposthenic form of neurasthenia has the following symptoms: apathy, lethargy, passivity, lack of interest in anything or anyone. A sense of melancholy and a desire to cry is present, but does not bear that hysterical character that can be observed at the stage of irritable weakness. The neurasthenic goes deep into itself, concentrating on its problems, further exacerbating its condition.
It is important to note that each of the forms of such a disease as neurasthenia has a destructive effect on the psyche, because if there are any signs that the situation is getting out of control, you should immediately contact a specialist and cure a person from this as soon as possible Ailment.
How is neurasthenia treated
The first thing that is important to note: treatment of neurasthenia should be comprehensive. Yes, and treat the disease as neurasthenia should only deal with people who have the appropriate education.
Unfortunately, many consider psychological problems as a benign or insignificant problem, which can be cured by improvised means at home. However, illnesses of the psyche are no less dangerous than pathologies in the physical condition of a person, and having decided to dispense with doctors who know how to treat neurasthenia, one can only do harm to the patient. Yes, sometimes you can be cured at home, without being in the hospital, but it is necessary to follow the orders of doctors without fail. To date, official medicine offers the following ways to combat such a disease as neurasthenia:
- Normalization of the daily regimen. It is important that during the treatment the neurasthenic eat regularly and fully, observe sleep and rest, spend time in the open air and avoid situations that can cause stress or strain. If therapy is carried out without being in a hospital, it is better for a patient to spend this time at home, without attending school or work.
- Common restorative drugs. This includes vitamin-mineral complexes, tonic preparations (ginseng, valerian, hawthorn).
- Drug treatment in the form of tranquilizers. Usually, with such a disease as neurasthenia, drugs such as Elenium, Diazepam, Phenotropil and others are prescribed.
- Physiotherapy procedures that promote relaxation: massage, electrosleep, aromatherapy, etc.
Of course, for the recovery, both general therapy and drug treatment of neurasthenia are important, but neurasthenic also needs support of relatives. Whatever the causes of the disease, the care of native people will help a person cope with their condition.