Osteochondrosis: symptoms and treatment
Many people often hear, but do not know exactly what osteochondrosis is. In fact, this disease is not so rare. This disease is characterized by a degenerative degenerative lesion of vertebral tissues, further deformation of the discs between the vertebrae, and also the adjacent ligaments of the vertebral apparatus.
As a rule, the pathology negatively affects first the ligaments, then the bones and other tissues. Patients consult a doctor already when they begin to feel regular pain.
Statistics show that the osteochondrosis of the spine has from 50 to 90% of the world’s population. Often the symptoms of osteochondrosis appear in people who have crossed the threshold of 30 years, but there is a risk of developing symptoms even in adolescents.
Stages of disease development
In medicine, several stages of the course of the disease are distinguished:
- at 1 stage dewatering of the pulpous core is observed, which, in turn, leads to the appearance of deformations in the ring of the fibrous type. The initial stage is characterized by the development of symptoms within the vertebral disc. Symptoms of osteochondrosis are not pronounced. Treatment of osteochondrosis at this stage can be carried out with the help of exercise therapy and massage;
- in step 2 after changing the height of the disc and after dehydration of the ligament, the muscles begin to converge. This causes them to sag. Symptoms of osteochondrosis also include excessive mobility in the vertebral column. This, in turn, can cause the process of displacement of the vertebrae;
- at stage 3 signs of osteochondrosis become most pronounced, as the patient may develop protrusion of intervertebral discs or even prolapse. Also, due to changes in bones and muscles, joints begin to suffer, which causes the formation of arthroses;
- at stage 4 the spine of the patient already adapts to the changes that have occurred. The organism makes attempts to immobilize the spine as much as possible in order to save its protective, as well as musculoskeletal function. Simultaneously, in the intervertebral discs, osteophytes begin to spread — bone growths that are formed on the adjacent vertebrae. Occurred osteophytes can cause trauma to nerve endings. The result is their immersion.
Causes of the disease
Symptoms of osteochondrosis can arise due to such reasons:
- spinal injury;
- predisposition to diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- The natural aging process
- the presence of persistent physical overloads
- Wrong posture
- the presence of constant vibration — is relevant for several professions, for example, drivers of large trucks
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of osteochondrosis may not appear immediately. The main symptoms can be attributed to the discomfort arising in the back, as well as painful sensations. Symptoms of osteochondrosis are most often manifested when the patient exposes the body to greater physical exertion. Also a symptom of the disease is a feeling of numbness in the limbs. When you have at least one of these signs, you need to pay attention to their nature and intensity — pain in the leg or in the hand can manifest themselves in different ways. Additional signs of osteochondrosis are a hernia of the intervertebral disc, as well as protrusion or pinching of the nerve end.
Osteochondrosis of the spine is of the following species depending on localization:
- in the cervical section
- in the sternum;
- in the lumbosacral section
Treatment of ailment
Treatment of osteochondrosis involves a combination of the following methods:
- therapeutic gymnastics for osteochondrosis or exercise
- physiotherapeutic procedures (acupuncture, pharmacopuncture, electrostimulation)
- Diet for osteochondrosis
- spine traction
- massage with osteochondrosis.
Treatment of osteochondrosis should be started as early as possible, but even in the last stages there is a great chance to overcome the ailment.
Gymnastics in osteochondrosis is one of the most effective methods of preventing and stopping manifestations of the disease. The exercise therapy for osteochondrosis includes such exercises that can strengthen the muscles of the back and the entire body. To spend gymnastics it is necessary daily for achievement of effect already in some employment. Gymnastics for osteochondrosis includes popular exercises that are surely familiar to many, since they are used in a complex of morning exercises.
LFK in osteochondrosis not only contributes to a quick recovery, but also can prevent the appearance of the first symptoms of the disease. You can do exercise therapy for osteochondrosis instead of morning exercise.
Charge in osteochondrosis should even out an uneven column of the spine, strengthen the corset muscles of the back, improve metabolism and blood circulation in tissues. Proper charging with osteochondrosis improves the supply of the brain with blood and promotes the widening of the gap between the vertebrae, which allows releasing the previously pinched nerve endings. In a patient, performing exercises for osteochondrosis can take only a few minutes every day, but it is already able in a few weeks to lead to a marked decrease in manifestations of the disease. And in the early stages, charging with osteochondrosis is not at all the main medical method.
Another advantage of exercise therapy for osteochondrosis is that the complex is designed for people of all ages, since it takes into account the age features and capabilities of the body. Exercises for osteochondrosis can be carried out at home, and maybe in the clinic on special simulators. It is worth noting that with qualitative and correct exercise, the treatment of osteochondrosis at home brings the same effective results as the performance of therapeutic exercises for osteochondrosis in the clinic.
Nutrition for osteochondrosis should include lean meat, dairy products, vegetables and fruits. Diet for osteochondrosis requires frequent eating (5-6 times a day). At the last meal for a day you need to take a glass of sour-milk products.
Diet for osteochondrosis severely restricts the intake of legumes, grapes and products from it, muffins, spices, various refined products. When the doctor will make up his plan for feeding the patient with osteochondrosis, he will also include bakery products containing bran, fruits, vegetables and berries (in particular, sea buckthorn).
Nutrition for osteochondrosis performs the regenerative function of the organism, supplying the cells with building material. It is important to remember that the diet for osteochondrosis (as, indeed, for the prevention of other various ailments) involves a thorough chewing food. The process of eating food lasts at least 15 minutes. The more saliva and gastric juice is secreted, the greater the effect will be given by a balanced and balanced diet with osteochondrosis.
Treatment of osteochondrosis is also performed with the help of massage. Massage with osteochondrosis is carried out when the patient does not feel pain at touch. Therapeutic massage with osteochondrosis reflexively affects the painful areas due to stimulation of the areas of the body that are not susceptible to the disease. In this case, massage with osteochondrosis should begin in a very gentle mode, so as not to cause unpleasant sensations in the form of muscle tension.
The technique, according to which massage is performed for osteochondrosis, suggests that the patient lies on his stomach during the session in the most relaxed position. The general goals that are pursued by massage with osteochondrosis are:
- pain management
- improving metabolism in the area of disease occurrence
- muscle relaxation
- Suppression of inflammatory processes in the area of the intervertebral disc.
There is also a debate about how to cure osteochondrosis at home. There are many folk methods, but their application must necessarily be agreed with the attending physician. Now all doctors unanimously repeat that massage and gymnastics for osteochondrosis are the right ways to first reduce all the symptoms of the disease, and then completely overcome it.