Thyrotoxicosis: symptoms and treatment
Thyrotoxicosis is a pathological condition characterized by a persistent increase in the level of hormones that produce the thyroid gland (thyroxine and triiodothyronine). This condition is also called intoxication by thyroid hormones. Such a pathology of the thyroid gland leads to disruption of the functioning of many organs and systems in the human body, and also negatively affects the functioning of the gland itself.
It should be noted that thyrotoxicosis is not an independent nosological unit. The causes of the progression of pathology are directly related to the processes that are already taking place in the body, and cause the thyroid gland to more actively produce a quantity of hormones that significantly exceeds the age norm.
Thyrotoxicosis is a specific syndrome that progresses against the background of autoimmune, infectious and oncological processes in the patient’s body, as a result of which the thyroid gland becomes the target organ.
The main causes of thyrotoxicosis:
- infectious nature pathologies that damage thyroid cells, the main function of which is the synthesis of hormones
- psychoemotional stresses. The most common cause that provokes the progression of thyrotoxicosis. Scientists have long found out that any stressful situation can lead to sharp fluctuations in the level of hormones;
- infectious diseases, as a result of which progress is observed a metabolic disorder
- hereditary predisposition. The risk of progression of the pathology increases several times if someone from close relatives is ill with thyrotoxicosis;
- decreased body reactivity
- the ingestion of large doses of hormones produced by the thyroid gland (with hormonal drugs). Usually observed in the treatment of hypothyroidism;
- the intake of large doses of iodine compounds into the body. It is worth noting that if this was observed for a certain period of time, thyrotoxicosis is a reversible process;
- uncontrolled intake of drugs that contain thyroid hormones. Often they are taken by people who are trying to lose weight.
This pathological state of the thyroid gland can occur in humans in three main forms:
- light. Only thyroid tissue is affected. Other organs are not involved in the pathological process. In rare cases, tachycardia develops, but it passes unnoticed for a person, as it does not go beyond the established rate;
- Medium. The patient has a persistent tachycardia. Against the background of the progression of pathological processes in the thyroid gland, the body weight decreases. Also, the functioning of certain organs and systems is disrupted — adrenal function is reduced, metabolism is broken and cholesterol level is reduced
- Heavy. If thyrotoxicosis has not been treated with the first two forms, then all the symptoms described earlier are amplified. The patient has a strong exhaustion and weakening of the body, as well as a malfunction in the work of all organs. Dysfunction is almost impossible to eliminate.
Symptoms of thyrotoxicosis depend on many factors. The sexual influence of the patient, the duration of the course of the pathological condition, and also the degree of its severity make a significant impact on the clinical picture.
It is worth noting the fact that more often the symptoms of thyrotoxicosis are manifested in the fair sex, because they throughout their life often undergo various hormonal changes (puberty, childbearing, menopause).
Symptoms of thyrotoxicosis:
- Decreased body weight when eating the usual diet
- A characteristic symptom of thyrotoxicosis is a practically constant feeling of heat throughout the body. This is due to the fact that the hormones that synthesize the thyroid gland take an active part in the fight against various infectious agents. Accordingly, the temperature in a person with an increased concentration of them increases somewhat;
- nervous overexcitation
- increased sweating
- emotional lability;
- limb tremor (in more severe cases — the whole body)
- violation of concentration
- decreased libido in the stronger sex
- stool disorder;
- memory loss;
- increased fatigue;
- Decreased quality of life
- menstrual dysfunction.
In addition, the appearance of the patient also changes. Many people do not pay attention to this, but for doctors these signs are an important indicator of the presence of thyroid gland pathology. The patient with thyrotoxicosis increases the size of the neck, there is a goiter, and also exophthalmos.
Treatment of thyrotoxicosis should be carried out as soon as the diagnosis has been made. Procrastination can lead to thyrotoxic crisis. This is a dangerous condition that can threaten not only health, but also the life of the patient. To treat this pathology of the thyroid gland resort to one of the following methods:
- conservative therapy is based on the use of medical drugs containing radioactive iodine;
- Surgical treatment. In this case, the surgeon performs an extraction of a thyrotoxicosis focus located directly in the gland. In some clinical situations, a part of the affected organ is removed;
- complex therapy. Combines the simultaneous appointment of the above methods;
- use of folk remedies (in tandem with official methods)
It is also important to follow a diet with thyrotoxicosis. This is a necessary condition that will help normalize the thyroid gland and improve metabolism. Diet with thyrotoxicosis is made strictly individually for each patient.
- bread made from oatmeal or wheat flour
- low-fat meat;
- low-fat kefir
- biscuits are unsweetened;
- fresh fish in boiled or baked form
- buckwheat and pearl barley
- leaf salad
- chamomile tea.
Products to be excluded:
- fatty fish;
- fat meats
- Sea kale
- strong meat broth.
Treatment with folk remedies can be started only after the diagnosis is accurately diagnosed, the cause of increased secretion of hormones is revealed. Also, before applying any prescriptions, you must obtain permission from your doctor.
Folk remedies for the normalization of the thyroid gland:
- Valerian decoction. This folk remedy is recommended to be taken three times a day. It effectively helps to normalize the functioning of the gland
- Beet. It is recommended to eat it raw every day. The vegetable contains a lot of iodine, which is an important element for normal thyroid function;
- Hawthorn infusion. Use this folk remedy is allowed no more than 3 weeks, after which a break is made for 2 weeks;
- Dog rose. Excellent folk remedy, which helps to stabilize the gland. The hips can be taken in any form.