Vaginal discharge after intercourse
Discharge after an intercourse is characteristic both for men and women. Sometimes the discharge is a physiological norm, but in other cases it may be a symptom of a reproductive system disorder. Both for men and women it is critically important to distinguish between normal discharge after sex and discharge requiring immediate visit to a doctor. Late detection of this pathology or its improper treatment leads to irreversible consequences with infertility being the worst.
Normal discharge after an intercourse in men and women
- Natural lubrication. Female discharge after sex occurs due to enhanced production of mucous secretion in the sexual arousal. Enhanced production of a mucous starts before the intercourse as discharge helps the movements of germ cells and ease frictions.
- Men may also notice transparent discharge after sex which are the remnants of the ejaculate or a natural lubricant.
- Yellow discharge after sex may occur in women as a result of mixing a natural lubricant and the sperm in the vagina.
- Using the condoms, after an intercourse white discharge may appear which are the remnants of a condom’s lubricant.
The discharge is considered to be normal if it does not have any unpleasant smell, is not copious and of a mucous nature. Copious discharge after sex may be a symptom of some pathology even if they are not similar to pathological manifestations. Additional signs of a reproductive system potential disorder are subjective sensations such as itching, burning and sometimes pain.
Bloody discharge after an intercourse
Discharge of blood after the first sex in a girl is not usually a pathology, however bloody discharge does not necessarily occur. According to the statistics, nearly half the girls do not have blood after the defloration.
Factors causing bloody discharge after an intercourse:
- Traumas. The female vaginal mucous membrane may be injured in the result of a careless sex. Bloody discharge after an intercourse is a reason for an immediate visit to a doctor as a genital tract bleeding may be dangerous and life-threatening.
- Inflammation of the reproduction system may be the reason of bloody discharge after sex. Among the causing agents of the infection are pathogenic bacteria and fungi. In some cases, poor personal hygiene leads to inflammation. A long-term use of antibacterial medications is also a reason for discharges, especially when the body resistance is significantly reduced.
- Bloody discharge after an intercourse may occur as a result of a sexually transmitted infection. Additional symptoms of sexually transmitted disorders are subjective sensations such as burning and itching and sometimes pain.
- The most common often cause of bloody discharge after sex are polyps. In many cases, they are responsible for the occurrence of small bleeding erosions.
- Endometriosis. This is the growth of endometrial tissue which is often the cause of bloody discharge after sex or abnormal spontaneous bleeding midway between menstrual cycle.
- Oncological diseases of the reproductive system are characterized by the only symptom and it is bloody discharge after sex or spontaneous discharge.
- If birth control pills do not suit a woman, it may lead to false menstruations or pink discharge after sex.
- The main cause of blood in the male sperm is inflammation of the urogenital system, most often vesiculitis.
Also, be aware of urgent conditions which may occur after sex or without any relation to it. They are:
Bloody discharge in pregnancy after sex is a warning sign which requires immediate medical help as not only the fetus survival is at risk but the mother’s life as well.
Brown discharge after an intercourse
Brown discharge after an intercourse is considered to be normal, if they are related to the use of the pills for longer than a quarter.
By its nature, dark discharge after sex is clotted blood. It may occur due to any factor leading to the bleeding. If brown discharge appears before or after the menstruation, it is indicative of serious uterine pathologies.
White discharge after sex
The cause of copious white discharge shortly after an intercourse or without any relation to sex is inflammation in the urogenital system.
- Bacterial vaginosis. If white discharge in women after sex is accompanied by a specific fishy smell and among additional symptoms are subjective sensations such as dryness and itching, a vaginal dysbacteriosis may be suspected.
- Vaginal candidiasis or vaginal thrush. This disorder affects both women and men. It is characterized by cheese-like discharge after sex. Discharge is white and looks like a plaque. Candidiasis is accompanied by itching.
- White sticky discharge after sex occur in sexually transmitted diseases and have additional symptoms such as intensive itching and burning. If in the genital area there is rash, that is most probable a sexually transmitted disease.
Green discharge after sex
Discharge of this color are also called purulent discharge and their appearance is never normal. Male and female green and yellow foul-smelling discharge after sex is the sign of a sexually transmitted disease.
Sexually transmitted diseases which are accompanied by green discharge are:
- Gonococcal infections;
- Mycoplasma infections;
- Chlamydia-related diseases.
If a man or a woman noticed such discharge after sex, they should immediately visit a venereologist to choose proper treatment for both partners.
Sometimes purulent discharge after sex is a symptom of vaginal dysbacteriosis.
Yellow discharge after sex
If the color of discharge is not intensive, it is considered to be a norm. The symptoms of a pathology are copious foul-smelling discharge and very intensive color.
Pathologic yellow discharge after sex suggests a sexually transmitted disease (gonococcus or trichomonad infection). Additional symptoms are itching and burning and painful sensations during sex and after it. General signs of intoxication such as weakness, low-grade fever, headache are also indicative of the inflammation, however these symptoms do not occur in all the cases.
Discharge after sex in pregnancy
All the types of pathological discharge in pregnancy after sex are indicative of the same disorders. However, brown discharge sometimes may be a norm.
Brown discharge in pregnancy after sex is considered to be a norm during the first two weeks of a trimester when implantation takes place. Later, such discharge is a sign of an early miscarriage or rupture in the ovary, for example, in ectopic pregnancy.
Every condition which is accompanied by discharge after sex in pregnancy is dangerous and may be extremely harmful to a fetus with killing it as the worst consequence. That is why, even the slightest change in the nature of discharge requires an immediate medical consultation.
Sexual intercourse in pregnancy poses the risk of placental abruption and may lead to other undesirable consequences. Thus, a woman should be very careful having sex, especially shortly before the delivery, and it is better to abstain from it.
What to do upon discharge after an intercourse or in pregnancy
First of all, visit a gynecologist, venereologist or urologist. Timely diagnosis and proper treatment allow to avoid numerous unpleasant consequences which may cause foul-smelling discharge after sex.
Depending on the cause of the discharge, the treatment may be conservative or surgical. To cure infections, antibiotics are indicated. However, ectopic pregnancy requires only surgical interference.
The most important thing to do if you noticed vaginal discharge after sex is a visit to a doctor. Self-treatment will only aggravate the condition and lead to the complications and chronization of the disease.